A large ancient Greek port town of Anacopia was recorded there in the 3rd century. Its ruins are still visible. In the 5th century, Georgians built a fortress on the top of the Iverian Mountain.
Anacopia was the capital of the Abkhazian princedom in the orbit of the Byzantine Empire and then of the Abkhazian Kingdom after the archon Leon II declared himself a king in the late 8th century. Later, the capital was moved to Kutaisi.
Anacopia was ceded to Byzantine Empire by Demetre in 1033 but was retaken by Georgians in 1072 among the other territories Georgia gained as a result of the Empire's defeat at Manzikert at the hands of Seljuks.
|2010.01||21.06.2010||Fauna and flora||5v set|
|0.58€||212||Common Nightingale Luscinia megarhynchos|
|2010.02||16.09.2010||Fauna and flora||5v set|
|0.72€||37||Golden Eagle Aquila chrysaetos|